Get your free tips on health and fitness and be inspired!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

What is DYDD? Do Your Due Diligence!

Make sure that you have undertaken or at least have considered taking these steps before you enroll to a gym for your workout sessions.


Disclaimer: Some of the items may not be applicable to everyone. But please consider this blog post as guidance to those who are just starting with their health and fitness goals.

Actually, I have already enrolled in a gym before I wrote this blog entry. And basically, what I will share are the steps I have taken before enrolling:

1.    Consult with a physician.
I know that people tend to just enroll right away without even considering their current health condition. Schedule a checkup with your physician and let him/her know that you will enroll to a gym for your health and fitness goal.

What do they usually ask or do whenever you consult them with you health and fitness goal?

a.    The physician will ask you to let him/her know of your current health conditions and the history of your family’s health conditions. Physicians usually ask you to fill-out a form declaring those items I have previously stated. The physician will interview you and will ask you questions related to what you have stated in your form.
b.    The physician afterwards will take your blood pressure and heart rate.
c.    Some physicians may also ask you to undergo fitness test to check whether you are really capable of doing your health and fitness exercise in the gym or not.

My Result: I am fit to go to the gym! Hurray!!! The physician was also surprised that I have not experienced being hospitalized. Hahaha. So she thinks I’m abnormal or is really very lucky? – I did not dare to ask. Hehe.

2.    Go to a Nutritionist to get your diet plan.
There are folks who may have a special diet plan and requires different amount and different sets of food to eat.

a.    The Nutritionist usually asks for your weight and height and then will get your BMI.
They will have to check their BMI cheat sheet, too! Others may have memorized it (I think the geek ones. Hehe.) and will give you your BMI right away!

b.    Then, they may also ask what you currently eat or medications you intake.
c.    Afterwards, they will provide a diet plan suited for you or you may just get an advise as to what to eat and not what to eat.


My Result: I went to a nutritionist but the consultation was via phone patch! I went there and waited for about half an hour in her clinic until the nutritionist decided to just call me. The ‘consultation’ went for about 10 minutes. The nutritionist only got my weight and height and advised that I am still normal. I was asked to just take ‘healthy’ foods and go away from sweet, fatty foods. Hehe. That’s just it! Uh-oh! I know what you might be thinking... I don’t assume that it’s normal that nutritionist do that. It’s just that she was doing her hospital rounds that time

3.    Decide your choice of gym.
There are several considerations that you should look into before enrolling to gym. It may vary from the facilities to the vision and mission of the gym.

a.    Location

If you are working and you would like to do your work-out before or after work hours, make sure that your gym is of the same building or is just some minutes away from your office.

You may also look for a gym that is near your home. If you have a car, you can look for a gym that’s on your way – not out of your way ‘coz you might spend a lot on your gas.

b.    Price

Choose your gym that fits your budget. There are gyms offering low-priced monthly dues and even no membership fee at all! However, since it’s low priced or just priced enough, expect that there are lot of gym-goers everyday and sometimes, you would even need to sign up just to use an equipment every time you workout.

If you have the budget, there are posh gyms out there and usually found in central business districts. It’s usually near offices and professionals usually go to these gyms to work-out. Just be prepared with the price though! You would really need to have high budget for posh gyms.

c.    Facilities

Pay a visit to a gym before you sign up. Check out their facilities if it fits for your needs.

There are gyms who would offer a one-day trial. Avail of this trial if you want to check their facilities and their equipment.

Did you know? I have experienced joining a gym without treadmill. Yes! You heard it right? You may know that treadmill is the one of the most basic equipment a gym should have but it’s not there! Hehe. I usually use the stationary bike instead for my cardio workout.

d.    Vision

Review the vision and mission of the gym if it is aligned with your health and fitness goals.

e.    People

Find a gym where your interests are similar as yours. Examples are gyms in the business districts wherein members are usually professionals working from the nearby offices.

Here's what I've done: I enrolled in a gym near where I work. It's not expensive but just priced enough. I know that there are lot of people going there after office hours. Thus, I decided to work-out in the morning before I go to office. Just need to wake-up early T.T.

0 Responses to DYDD – Pinay Health and Fitness Online’s Cheat Sheet on what to do before enrolling to a gym of your choice.

Post a Comment

About Me

My Photo
Ivy dela Cruz
I am currently working as an IT Professional. Starting to live life to the fullest by enriching myself with other activities aside from work.
View my complete profile

PinayHealthandFitnessOnline.blogspot.com